At first this was lumped into my last post but then I realized it was super long. So now that that’s all outta the way, here’s a few tips then I’m off to the gym!
- If you don’t have time to make lunch, keep a few frozen meals or healthy cans of soup on hand to grab quickly. I used to do a lot of lean cuisines but again, trying to move to cleaner eating so I’ve recently picked up a few things from Amy’s Kitchen line! The soups aren’t the BEST but they’re still good and all organic. So far, their frozen meals have been bomb ass (delicious).
- Snack smart! I take protein powder to work with me to drink in between meals. I usually don’t get hungry between breakfast and lunch so I’ll drink two scoops with unsweetened almond milk or water. Eventually I want to add some oatmeal and spinach to make it a real protein shake but let’s take some baby steps first, I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel man.
- If you have a hard time getting to the gym in the morning (I’m almost convinced those people are crazy, yet I wish I was crazy with them) or you go home first and then it’s hard to leave again to go to the gym – check out a gym near your work! I joined a Planet Fitness right down the road from my work so I don’t have an excuse anymore and so far it’s working pretty well! It would work better if I went more, but hey, I’m trying!
- Planet Fitness is a great place to go if you’re just getting into the gym thing. It’s inexpensive and it seems like there is always one around the corner or nearby. It doesn’t have a track (go to your local high school on the weekends) or pool (community pool anyone? I admit I’ve turned a blind eye to the amount of bacteria that has to be in those pools before just for a romp in the water) but as far as I can see, it has pretty much everything else! Eventually, I’d like to try some Crossfit but again, BABY STEPS!
- Change it up! Sometimes I don’t feel like going to the gym for the sole reason that I don’t feel like doing the elliptical again. But hello! There are tons of other workouts to do so don’t be afraid to switch out your routine. Plus you’ll be working some different muscles which is always good.
- Take advantage of personal trainers. When you first sign up at a new gym, a lot of times they will offer you one or more free personal training sessions to get you started. Take advantage of this! Planet Fitness offers unlimited sessions but there are only certain times the trainer is available. The trainer can introduce you to some new moves, show you around the place, teach you how to use some of the equipment, etc. If you want to change up your routine but don’t know where to start, a personal training session could be the perfect way to do that.
- Take advantage of your support group! Share your successes with your friends and family! They are your biggest fans and number one supporters. I don’t share my successes or goals with my friends and family like I should but I never regret when I do. They are always a great source of motivation! If this isn’t the case with you and you don’t have a lot of support, try opening up to some new friends at the gym. Find someone doing a cool workout and ask them to show you how. We’re all in this together people!
Okay now I’ve been on this motivational sharing high for the past 45 minutes and it’s been great, hope ya liked it, but now I have to go to the gym because I should probably practice what I preach.
Here’s to livin’ the dream!